Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad
So I realize I have been completely MIA recently and I admit I have no good excuse…I recently began my training for my next marathon in October and have been super busy at work (i.e. bad excuse)…I apologize for my absence. 🙂
I HAVE, however, been fully enjoying the fruits of my dear father’s massive garden. The excessive early summer rain has led to an even more excessive cucumber and zucchini crop. My dad has been bringing me more cucumbers than I know what to do with, even after I ate cucumber salads for 5 days straight…but I’m (obviously) not mad about it.
For my work lunches, I have been really into making veggie filled pasta salads, in an attempt to use as many as the delicious vegetables my dad brings me weekly. For pasta salad, I prefer using raw zucchini over cucumbers because zucchini is less (dare I use the word??) moist than cucumbers, while still lending a fabulous crunch combined with the raw sweet pepper and red onion.
This delicious summer veggie filled pasta salad is so refreshing and filling!
I use brown rice pasta, which is my favorite, making it healthier and gluten-free than standard pasta. Like all my other recipes, it is super easy to throw together for a quick weeknight dinner after work or to pre-make and store for several days in the refrigerator.I am actually a fan of day (or few day) old pasta salad…it seems like the dressing seeps into the veggies and the pasta more.
All you’ll have to do is throw the pasta into boiling water, chop up the veggies, and mix it all up!
- 2 Small Zucchini/1 Medium Zucchini
- 1 Small Red Onion
- ½ C Chopped Dill
- 2 Medium Carrots
- 1 Large Sweet Bell Pepper (any color)
- 1.5 C Penne or Spiral Pasta*
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder + 1 tsp Salt (or 2 tsp Garlic Salt)
- Cook pasta in boiling water. Run under cold water and shake out remaining liquid.
- Finely chop zucchini, red onion, carrots, bell pepper.
- Add cooked pasta, chopped vegetables, and chopped dill to large bowl.
- Add EVOO, lemon juice, mustard, salt, & garlic power to bowl.
- Toss all ingredients very well until thoroughly incorporated.
Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend enjoying these last few weeks of this beautiful summer!