Lazy Curried Squash Soup (GF + Vegan)
Happy Day Before Thanksgiving!
My FAVORITE holiday because (Surprise!) it revolves around food! And I get to see my wonderful extended family that I don’t get to see often enough! I hope everyone has Happy Thanksgivings with their loved ones!
To the SOUP:
I have little patience when I get home from traveling, work, or a long day of running around, and there isn’t food readily available for me to munch on in my ravenous state. During the few weeks a year I am not traveling for work and am home for a few consecutive days, I make food ahead on the weekend, so that I have healthy food readily available to grab for lunch and dinner. I am all about making food as quickly and healthy as possible, hence why my diet includes lots of salads and smoothies.
I typically crave foods that are in season, often meaning heavier/warm foods in the winter, and lighter/cool foods in the summer months. For me, cool weather means soup. This recipe was created from the remaining vegetables my dad is bringing me from his dwindling garden. As the weather gets consistently colder, he is (very unfortunately) almost done with most of his produce for the season.
This soup is super creamy without using any dairy cream. Using light coconut milk and sweet potatoes, you can mimic the consistency that comes from using dairy milk or cream.
It is packed with nutrients:
Complex carbohydrates from the sweet potato
Anti-inflammatory from the turmeric & ginger (which God knows I need after stuffing my face with all the yummies from Tgiving din!)
“Good” fat from the coconut milk
Potassium & Vitamin C from the Butternut Squash
Beta-carotene from the carrots
All those benefits while enjoying creamy/warming comfort food! I have been eating a bowl of this soup at least once a day for the past 5 days, and am in no way sick of it.
I normally don’t use the microwave that often, but my mother showed my the trick of making a “baked” potato in the microwave as a child, and I still do it quite often…Now I’m just expanding to even more. If you aren’t as impatient as I am, feel free to roast the carrots, squash, and sweet potato in the oven! I just use the microwave to have less to clean, and to be quicker.
- 2 Large Carrots
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger, grated or 2 Teaspoons Ginger Powder
- 1 Can Light Coconut Milk (14 Oz.)
- 2+ Cups Vegetable Broth (depending on desired consistency)
- 2 Teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- In microwavable glass container, cook sliced up butternut squash, sweet potato, and carrots with a ¼ cup vegetable broth, until soft/fully cooked. You can skin the potato & squash if you like. I leave the skin on.
- Combine vegetable mixture with coconut milk and ginger, and blend until smooth.
- Add vegetable broth until you reach desired consistency.
- Add Turmeric, Curry, and Cumin powders. Blend until full combined.
- Store in an airtight container in Refrigerator for up to 7 days. Or Freeze for up to a year.
In case you missed it – I was featured on the amazing blog The Micro Harvest Monday. I did a Q&A with the author – Simi Botic, who is a part-time lawyer, part-time holistic health coach, Barre teacher…Can you get any cooler than that?? Check it out if you haven’t already!
Happy Turkey Day! …or everything but the turkey, in my case 🙂