Kale Salad with Creamy Tahini Dressing
I’m obviously all about salads. Salads and smoothies are my summer time food. I rarely cook anything on the stove during the summer because I just love the freshness of raw fruits and veggies.
I’ve been big into raw kale salads for the last 2 or 3 years. I get stuck making the same delicious salad over and over again for my make-ahead lunches because I find one I love and forget about how FABULOUS it is to find the next new one I love. Well, I am proud to say, I changed it up this past week. After some kitchen experimentation, I bring you my new love (for the next few weeks probably…) Creamy Tahini Dressing. Cue glorious music. It’s that good. The creaminess cashews create could make anyone forget about dairy cream.
Kale is totally delicious in salads…if it is massaged. Un-massaged raw kale tastes a little like plucking a leaf off a tree and taking a nibble of it. Massaging it breaks it down so that it’s softer and easier to digest. It is such a hearty green that it doesn’t get nasty and slimy, like some other greens (ex. lettuce), when it’s handled a lot. See my post on Massaged Kale for further instructions. 🙂
This salad is great to make ahead for later meals, just keep the dressing in another container until you’re ready to enjoy it.
- 5-6 c Raw, Massaged Kale (or other salad greens if you prefer)
- 1 c Cooked Chickpeas (canned & rinsed is fine)
- 1-2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast, optional
- CREAMY TAHINI DRESSING:
- ¾ c Raw Cashews
- 1.5 tbsp Tahini
- ¾ c Water
- 3 tbsp Nutrition Yeast
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1.5 tbsp mustard
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Put all dressing ingredients (except S&P) into blender and blend until very smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Massaged Kale (or other greens) to large bowl. Pour chickpeas and mix until incorporated. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
- Pour Creamy Tahini dressing on top and toss until dressing is evenly distributed.
If you want to be extra fancy, try adding some of these additional toppings:
- dried cranberries or cherries
- red pepper flakes
- goat cheese (yeah, I’m obsessed. What about it??)
- sliced avocado
Tried other toppings?? Leave comments! I’d love to hear about them!