Healthy No Bake Buckeye Bars
National Peanut Butter day! No better way to celebrate than with these tasty treats!
If you’re from the Buckeye State (Ohio!), like I am, you’ll know “buckeye” flavor is really just the chocolate/PB combo…It also happens to be my absolute FAVE.
I have been on a sweet tooth kick recently. Actually, it’s not recently, let’s be serious…I have a constant sweet tooth. I am LOVING these delicious naturally sweet buckeye date bars. They take a quick 10 minutes to throw together and can be frozen for months (although I doubt they’ll last that long…). I made a double batch last week, froze half, with the intention of saving the rest for a rainy or snowy day, and have somehow plowed through them in about a week!
I posted a photo of them on my Instagram account last week and per my lovely followers’ requests, I am sharing this recipe with you all!
These bars are packed with superfoods (chia seeds and ground flaxseed) and provide you with your daily dose of protein (peanut butter) and antioxidants (dark chocolate!!)!
They also taste and feel like you’re eating cookie dough, so I can probably just stop there, since I don’t think anything else I say could convince you any further that you need these in your life. Stat.
As usual, these are vegan/vegetarian, and can be made gluten-free!
- 1 c Dates - soaked in ½ c water for at least 4 hours
- 2.5 c Old Fashioned Oats
- ⅛ c Chia Seeds
- ⅛ c Ground Flaxseed
- ½ c Virgin Coconut Oil
- ¼ c Creamy Peanut Butter
- ¼ c Dark or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips OR melted with 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder, optional
- As stated in the ingredients list, soak the 1 c dates in .5 c water for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Blend the oats into a rough powder (not quite flour, but not quite quick oat size).
- Blend soaked dates and remaining water until it becomes a thick paste.
- Mix ground oats, ground flaxseed, and chia seeds. Add protein powder if you prefer.
- Melt peanut butter and coconut oil in microwave for 30 minute increments, until coconut oil is fully melted. Mix melted PB/coconut oil thoroughly.
- Add PB/Coconut oil mixture & date paste to the dry mixture (oats, flax, chia) and mix until doughy consistency...I like using my hands for this. 🙂
- Massage in chocolate chips...or save them to make a glaze with the PB.
- Transfer dough into a baking dish or sheet and press firmly so the mixture is evenly flat. I do it so the bars are about 1cm thick.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Spread the melted chocolate chips and PB (optional).
- Slice into bars.
Hope you love these as much as I do!