Healthy Frosting (GF + Raw + Vegan)
Yes, I do eat this with a spoon. (In fact, I’m doing it at this very moment…)
I’ve always made my own frosting and icing for cakes, brownies, and cookies. The store-bought versions are usually laden with trans fat (one of the biggest nutrition NOs) and a long list of other ingredients I can neither pronounce or am familiar…not my thing. “Regular” homemade icing is mostly white powdered sugar…which in my book, is worlds better than what is in the store, but still has negative nutritional value.
Guess what? My frosting does have nutritional value, and it’s still yummy!
I have used it with many different healthy sweet treat recipes, and you can add in different flavorings (ex. Chocolate using cocoa or Cacao powder) and colors. It has never failed to be a fabulous topper to my tasty treats.
Similar to traditional homemade frosting, it is only a few ingredients and takes only a few minutes to make. All you do is blend the ingredients.
I most recently used it on my Healthy Carrot Cake recipe (coming soon! I’m excited to share it!). It was the perfect glue between the layers of my cake.
My healthy, raw, vegan, Gluten-Free frosting has 4 simple ingredients: raw cashews, coconut oil, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. That’s it!
So blend away and spread some on your favorite cookie, cake, or other baked goods for some additional healthy fat and protein!
- 1.5 c Raw Cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours
- 4 tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil (not melted...yet)
- 2.5 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2.5 tbsp Liquid Sweetener (I use pure Maple Syrup or Honey)
- Rinse soaked cashews under water for 1-2 minutes to remove Phytic acid. Drain water.
- Place cashews in blender. Add lemon juice, sweetener, and vanilla extract.
- Melt Coconut Oil, typically will take less than 30 seconds in microwave. Add to blender.
- Blend all ingredients until very smooth.
- Store in airtight container for up to a week.