Date Goat Cheese Salad
If you’re from Columbus and are at all a “foodie,” this salad should seem AWFULLY familiar…It is the copycat of a Northstar Salad – the Beechwold/Village/Townsfair Salad, depending on which location. I had the opportunity to intern in the Northstar Cafe corporate office while I was in college. It was a great experience and hooked me even more, if possible, on their delicious and healthy food. One of the many perks of working in their office is getting to eat Northstar for lunch every. single. day. AH-MAZING.
Since I can’t drive to Northstar everyday where I currently work, I have made my best attempt to recreate my favorite salad. This salad is hearty enough to be a meal in itself. I pack my container as tightly as possible with greens and toppings. I poured one of my lunch salads on a dinner plate one evening and it was too large to even fit on the plate…no shame. ALL THE GREENS.
This salad is everything I need and despite having had it for lunch about 3 times a week for the last month+, I look forward to eating it for lunch as soon as I get to work in the morning.
The combination of ingredients is perfect. Almonds add crunch. Dates and corn add sweetness. Goat Cheese and avocado add creaminess.
- 1 tbsp goat cheese
- 1 tbsp toasted sliced or chopped almonds
- 1 soft, pitted date
- 2 tbsp sweet corn
- ¼ c chopped tomato
- ¼ cubed medium avocado
- Optional: grilled chicken, tempeh, tofu, or other protein
- 2 cups salad greens (massaged kale, lettuce, spinach, or a mix of them all!)
- 2 tbsp champagne vinaigrette*
- Place greens on plate or in to-go container.
- Crumble goat cheese over bed of greens.
- Sprinkle almonds, chopped tomatoes, sweet corn, cubed avocado, and any chopped protein you'd like to add.
- Chop date into small pieces.
- Pour dressing over salad.
- Toss until all ingredients thoroughly incorporated.
*You can make your own Champagne Vinaigrette with my simple recipe, or purchase it at the grocery store (not as good :))