Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bites (GF + Vegan)
The chocolate/peanut butter combo is one of my all-time favorites. Super dark chocolate is my go-to treat when I have a craving for something sweet. I admit I have a pretty bad sweet tooth.
Sugar is scary addicting! Because of its addictive properties, I have essentially eliminated cane sugar from my diet and stick to natural sweeteners. Natural sweeteners (honey, dates, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, etc.) typically don’t tend to be as addicting and have at least some nutritional value.
The last year I have been really into making what lots of blogs refer to as “bliss balls,” (which mildly weirds me out)…They are basically little bite size treats with a date base, and other healthy mix-ins.
Dates are naturally very sweet, but also are high in soluble fiber and are packed full of natural vitamins and minerals (ex. potassium, iron). Sometimes I will just grab a plain date to satisfy my sweet tooth, or stuff them with almond or peanut butter for a quick pre-exercise energy boost. Not to toot my own horn, but (toot toot!) the cookie dough like consistency of my bites are to die for! They’re like eating healthy cookie dough!
Like my other recipes, these bites are very simple to make, and are a quick and yummy treat. All you need to do is blend together the ingredients and enjoy! You can increase the recipe and freeze bites to savor in months to come. I love to make a giant batch and keep them in the freezer so I have them available at my leisure.
These bites are the perfect pre- or post-workout snack because they contain a myriad of ingredients that will give you sustained energy for a great workout. The dates, flax, and chia provide ample fiber. The peanut butter, almond flour, and protein powder provide lots of protein to build muscle. They are also super versatile, so can add crushed nuts, roll them in shredded coconut, or add cacao nibs (my favorite) or mini chocolate chips, or whatever else you’d like!
- Vegan (ensure protein powder is)
- Paleo (swap PB for almond or other nut butter)
- 1 tbsp Maca Powder
- 1 tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil
- 8 Pitted Dates (Soft)
- 2 tbsp Creamy Peanut Butter (look for brands in which the only ingredient is peanuts!)
- 1 heaping tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 heaping tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 1 Scoop Chocolate Protein Powder (I use Vega brand Choc-a-lot flavor*)
- 1 heaping tbsp Almond Meal/Flour
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp Cacao Nibs (optional)
- Combine Chia Seeds and Water, set aside to allow mixture to turn into gel.
- Place Pitted Dates, Peanut Butter, Coconut Oil in blender (or food processor) until mixture is smooth.
- Add Chia Seed/Water gel mixture to blender.
- Slowly mix in Maca Powder, Ground Flaxseed, Chocolate Protein Powder, Salt, and Almond Flour into blender. Once all ingredients become incorporated, they should form a ball of cookie dough type consistency.
- Add any desired additional add-ins, and set blender to low setting to mix them in.
- Remove the dough ball from blender.
- Break off little pieces and form balls using your hands that are about 1 inch in diameter.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator, or for up to several months in freezer.