Carrot Cake Made Healthy (GF + Vegan + Paleo)
Carrot cake is da bomb. True.
It’s even better when you know it’s not mostly all-purpose “fortified” flour. This carrot cake is mostly carrots, but not too dense, and made only with almond flour/meal, and as always with my recipes, does not contain any white sugars, just all natural, and EASY. For all these reasons, I am totally okay with enjoying a hefty slice for breakfast.
I have also made this cake as bread, by decreasing the amount of sweetener. It was deliciously wonderful warmed up with a little smear of tahini or jam.
If I make this as cake though, it is always frosted with my raw vegan frosting…and it is amazing. This little treat is quickly becoming a hit among my family and friends. I am so looking forward to baking endless amounts of this cakes since I will not be traveling for work anymore! More home time = more baking and cooking!! Wee!
Dig in! Have a piece of cake (for breakfast, lunch, or dinner)!
- 1 c Almond Flour/Meal
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 tbsp Natural Liquid Sweetener (I use pure maple syrup or honey)
- 1.5 c Finely Shredded Raw Carrot
- 2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed + 4 tbsp cold Water (or 2 lightly beaten eggs)
- 2 Heaping tbsp Unsweetened Applesauce
- Cake or bread pan
- Throughly mix ground flaxseed and water, set aside to turn into gel. This is a flax "egg," which will act as a binder for the cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 8.5 in bread loaf pan, or 2 small round cake pans with coconut oil or butter.
- Combine almond flour, baking powder, & shredded carrots in large bowl.
- Stir in liquid sweetener, unsweetened applesauce, and flax "egg." Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 min, or until toothpick comes out clean from center of cake.
- Let cool before completely if you are icing the cake.
Disclaimer: I have never tried this recipe using real eggs, but I think it would be fine! If you try - please leave a comment!