Butternut Squash Chickpea Salad
I got this idea from a pre-made salad I bought from a local natural foods store. I knew I needed to recreate it as soon as I tasted it. It is so refreshing. I usually associate squash with winter, as it is a heavier vegetable, but this salad is perfect for any time of year. The mixture with the other veggies still leave you feeling light, even after a hefty serving. :)…which I’ve had on several occasions…
It has been fabulous to make ahead for meals later in the week. It stores well in the refrigerator for several days without getting limp and wilted. I have eaten it by itself, or put it on top a bed of greens. It has more than enough flavor for me to exclude dressing from my green salads.
The raw onions give the salad a fabulous crunch, combined with the soft roasted butternut squash. This salad is also high in veggie-based protein from the chickpeas, & gives your body a detoxing effect from the lemon, parsley and cumin.
Bring this salad to your next get together! It will be sure to please vegetarians and meat eaters alike! 😉
- ½ Large Butternut Squash, Peeled & Cubed (.5 in cubes)
- 1 Can Chickpea/Garbanzo Beans (15 oz.)
- ½ Large Red Onion
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ C Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- ½ Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- ½ Tsp Thyme
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Lightly salt and bake cubed Butternut Squash on greased baking sheet at 425F until soft (can easily stick a fork through the cubes), about 20 minutes dependent on oven.
- While you allow squash to bake and cool, drain and rinse can of chickpeas.
- Pour chickpeas into large bowl, & add chopped parsley.
- Mince Red Onion, & add to bowl.
- Add EVOO, lemon zest, Paprika, Nutmeg, Cumin, & Thyme.
- Add cooled butternut squash cubes.
- Mix all ingredients of salad to evenly distribute, add Salt & Pepper to taste.